Monday, June 21, 2010

THE STREET LAMP

A long, long time ago, when we moved into this house, I wanted a light, so I could see my way to the house at night. Now, of course, it couldn't be just ANY old light. Not a 'new' miniature one, it had to be an old 'grand' one. One that had once been an actual street light, from this town. So... the hunt began....

I was told, erroneously, that they had been dumped in the local creek by the village when they had been removed to make way for the ugly modern ones. And maybe they had, at one time... but I know first had they are not there now.

One Memorial Day weekend, we went with our good friends, after a rousing game of croquet, down the creek. In a rainstorm. walking. with our 1 year old son in tow. Found lots of other junk, but no street lamps.

Now, just so you know I'm not the WORST mother in the U.S. I did leave the girls with my parents. But, this was a mission for our son to encounter? Probably not, but my mother, probably said, I'll keep the girls, but you must take the little monster... yes, I'm sure that was it. So the guys took turns with him on their shoulders and off we went in search of treasure. It was a warm summer rain, and he so loved to hang with the men.

There weren't any there.... we came home soaked to the skin, none the worst for the wear, and street lampless. We hung out in the rain at the friends, enjoying the holiday.

I was not done though....

A few years later, I noticed one in the back yard of the house that once belonged to the town Veterinarian... and this house was for sale... hummm... I strolled up to the door and asked...would you sell me your yard light? He pondered a moment, and said, sure..named his price, I accepted, walked calmly to my car and did the extreme happy dance. He had the original globe, and an extra bracket and the beloved lamp.... all I needed was a backhoe and we were in business!!

It's stood majestically for 75+ years... first somewhere on the street of our little town, and for the last 20 on my front lawn. Friday night, my fear was founded; it was shattered.. in a zillion glass shards on my front lawn.


We had a hellacious thunderstorm and lost 3 large sections of 3 different trees in our yard, but mostly, we lost my street lamp's globe. And, I saw it happen, out the window.



I was beyond sad. But, the internet is a wonderful thing, and I think we have located a replacement... not the same as the original, but she will shine again...


2 comments:

  1. WOW.....want an amazing story and I can invision your son on hubbie's shoulders!!!! So sad to lose it BUT glad most of it is still standing and can be fixed!

    ReplyDelete