Monday, August 31, 2009


I'm sick. I have a nasty, nasty headache and sound like I've been smoking 2 packs a day for 10 years. I'm coughing and hacking and feeling generally miserable. Now, this might not have turned into what it's turned into if it weren't for the weekend.....

Saturday, we joined my husband's siblings and his cousins for a boat ride in the Chain of Lakes. When we planned this, we chose the last Saturday in August figuring we'd have scorching hot weather... you know, like summer should be- or once was??? Anyway, it was cold. During the afternoon, it was sunny for the most part, but it soon turned into evening and we boated to another cousin's fun bar for dinner and drinks. Here's my husband's cousin, sister in law and brother in law....
After being there, well into the evening, and well after the sun set, we needed to go BACK to the origination point. It was dark, and cold and yes, it began to spit rain at us. I'm always fashion conscientious so I'm quite comfortable in assuming I looked fab in the two hoodie sweatshirts I was sporting, complete with the hoods up and under a blanket that I'd managed to commandeer. By the time we reached the dock, I had moved my sniffle into a full fledged case of something respiratory.

As if that wasn't enough, on Sunday,we shot into the boat, only to discover it wasn't sailing weather at all, a bit too rough, and our time was limited anyway. We needed to check into our hotel and ready ourselves for the fashion event (I'm so cosmopolitan sounding here huh). AGAIN, silly me, since it's AUGUST IN CHICAGO, I thought that taking a 3/4 sleeve dress I'd be quite comfortable... which I would have, had it been inside. It wasn't.

The evening started outside in a lovely courtyard, offering cocktails and people watching( I'll get to that) and entertainment. The Shanon Rovers, bagpipers, and some violinist that was awesome both played. As the sun began to set, it got colder and colder... and my dress seemed to get thinner and thinner. Ever the gentleman, my husband gave me his sport coat, but I needed a full out parka- it was cold and I was sick- remember?? By this time, it was escalating to possibly pneumonia. But, it was a cool thing.

Interesting, people of undetermined sex now and then, local 'celebrities' people with more money than taste... you get the idea. The runway show was cool- beautiful Ford Models, and funky fall fashions. My 3 kids and my mom were all there with my husband and I, everyone looking great, so 'fashionable!!!

Here's my mom, oldest daughter and me.

Anyway, we were supposed to go to an after party- but as I was dying, and I mean dying, we went back to the hotel. I took a scorching hot bath and went to bed. We had to get up at 5 am to take my husband to the airport. Not sure in what world he thought it'd be a good idea to take a 7 am flight- but he did. So I deposited him at the airport and headed home. Home before 7:30am.
The view from our hotel.

Any question as to why I am sick????? But, damn, it was all fun!


  1.'s all about having FUN!!!! Sounds like it was a great weekend! Gorgeous photo of the 3 of yoU!!!!

  2. Awww! Poor baby! Shall I bring you some soup??? But, don't breathe on me!